3.02.2010

Stencil Project

The wall under my bar, which is open to the living room, is painted builder's beige (like the rest of my condo right now). They used what seems to be the flattest of flat paints, so every time something even brushes against it, it leaves a mark. Not good for the bar wall, which is obviously in frequent contact with shoes.  Here's how it looked when I moved in:













I have CB2 Diego bar stools, and the adjoining living room area palette is a mix of chocolate, wheat, and cream, with pops of lime green and fuschia. As a quick and easy way to fix what is now a completely scuffed wall under the bar, I planned to paint it chocolate brown. But that seemed kind of boring, so I started thinking about other possibilities, namely introducing more color/pattern/texture. First idea was to stick with the plan of painting the background a rich brown (or black?) but stencil a large medallion pattern on top, in a white or tan shade. Something like one of these:


But today, I fortuitously came across this gorgeous project at the aptly named Hello Gorgeous (found via Elements of Style):
Wouldn't that look amazing under my bar? The Imperial Trellis pattern is a classic yet modern favorite, and the metallic paint takes it to a whole new level. I hope a deep brown/pearly silver combo will look just as stunning, creating a visual feature rather than a forgotten space. It's a fairly labor intensive project, but I only need to cover about 7' x 4'. Thoughts? Can I get it done before my party in a few weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment